How to Get into an Exercise Habit – A Guide for the Total Non-Jock
How to Get into Exercising – Starting with Me
How do you get started in an exercise habit when your athletic abilities lie mostly in covering the nachos with cheese sauce as other people watch the Super Bowl?
Well, I am not really that bad but I have never been a jock. In fact as a kid I did not participate in gym because of severe asthma. I think that is one reason that I appreciate the inhalers that are available for patients who suffer from asthma. The lowly asthma inhaler has changed the life of patients, allowing them to be active. But whatever the case, I did not get into the habit of exercise as a young person.
Plus, at our school it was either football player or cheerleader as far as the active kids – and I knew I was not one of them. I would sometimes go out and swim around the pool with a girlfriend, and we belonged to a dinky gym for a while – but still not too much. No habits.
As I got older, I had to take two exercise classes for my college so I lumbered through swimming and gym.
As a young woman I started taking advantage of some of the exercise classes available. Someone asked me if I participated in low-impact aerobics, and I said “Sure, why not – and I was off to that.” I love the water, and have done water aerobics. I was an active walker at one time.
Then cancer struck. Recovering my level of fitness has been very hard, especially since somewhere along the way I sprained my ankle and I am not able to walk much. I am scheduled for foot surgery, but I want to lose weight before I go in. I need to have my foot to exercise to lose weight – Catch 22. I participate in some aquasize, but nothing on a daily basis. And there is some doubt that it is as easy to lose weight with water exercises as weight bearing. And the truth of the matter is that it does not feel good to exercise when you are overweight like I am.
But with the new year coming – enough of the excuses! I have decided to find out an exercise program that does work, even with my limitations.
I am dedicated to exercising on a daily basis – if even for a little bit.
Exercise Clothing for Real People
Clothing for the Journey
Womens Black Plus Sized Bike Short by Danskin Now (2x)Lataly Women’s Activewear Capri Yogapants Legging Workout Gym Tight Yoga Pants Color Black Grey Pack of 2 Size XLWomens Plus Sized Relaxed Fit Yoga Pant Value Pack of 2 by Danskin Now (3X)AMIE Finery Luxury Full Drape Swing Tunic Top For Women XXL Soft WhiteLataly Women’s Workout High Impact Sports Bra Gym Fit Seamless Racerback Brassiere Color 3Pack Size XLChampion Women’s Favorite Pant, Granite Heather, LargeChampion Women’s Favorite V-Neck Tank, Black, X-Large
How to Do It
Time required: Unknown – at least 10 minutes a day
Cost: Zero to thousands – Priceless in Value
Maybe a companion
Maybe a dog and a leash
A gym, pool, way to watch exercise videos, or a place to walk.
Richard Simmons Knows How to Exercise if You are Overweight
Sweating to the Oldies
Richard Simmons Project H.O.P.E. Home Workout System DVDRichard Simmons: Sweatin’ To The Oldies 1Richard Simmons: Sweatin’ to the Oldies 4Sweatin to the Oldies 5Richard Simmons – Sweatin’ to the Oldies 2Richard Simmons – Sweatin’ to the OldiesRichard Simmons: Sweatin’ to the Oldies 3Richard Simmons: Sweatin To The Oldies (20th Anniversary Edition)Sweatin’ to the Oldies: The Complete CollectionRichard Simmons Sweatin’ to the Oldies [VHS]
Fitness is Even More Important than Weight
I am on medication that makes it hard to lose weight – and you may be too. My doctor told me that the evidence shows that when it comes to lowering the level of diabetes and other horrible illnesses – fitness is more important than the scale.
1. Decide to do it. All great journeys start with the first step and the first step is to decide to exercise.
You deserve a healthy body!
(public domain photo Sprout Lightbulb)
2. Plan when this is going to take place. My calendar is my best friend – and putting it down makes it much easier. If I have “walk five minutes” written down it for Tuesday, it is hard to refuse to do it even if my foot hurts.
3. Have all the proper equipment – a good pair of shoes or a swim suit is helpful. But be sure you are being honest with yourself – you do not need fancy equipment to exercise. One of the most exciting programs that I know about Is Sit and Be Fit – where even people with severe impairments can exercise. The days of the sexy cheerleader being the only one on the exercise field is over!
4. Get an accountability buddy – or two. Can you find someone to exercise with you? Do you have a dog – looking into those soulful black eyes should be motivating.
5. Do something everyday! The 8 minutes a day In the Morning system is very exciting – how would you life change if you had daily morning exercise?
6. Pat yourself on the back! Just a little amount of exercise radically reduces your chances of heart disease, cancer and stroke – and will make you more of a hottie.
7. Only do what you can – check with your doctor if you have any question. The motto is NOT no pain, no gain – but rather more easy but consistent does it. The tortoise will definitely win this race.
Sit and Be Fit
Even if You can’t walk you Can move your Body
Sit and Be Fit: Easy Fitness for Seniors – Complete WorkoutsSit And Be Fit Stretch And Strengthen Award-Winning Senior Fitness Chair Exercise Workout Stretching, Strength Training, and Balance. Improve flexibility, muscle and bone strength, circulation, heart health, and stability, Developed By Mary Ann Wilson, RNSit and Be Fit Arthritis Award-Winning Chair Exercise Workout For Seniors-Stretching, Aerobics, Strength Training, and Balance. Improve flexibility, muscle and bone strength, circulation, heart health, and stabilitySit & Be Fit: Diabetes & Balance Workouts: Senior Chair Fitness Exercise Award-Winning, 2 DVD Set, Stretching, Aerobics, Strength Training, and Balance. Improve flexibility, muscle and bone strength, circulation, heart health, and stability.Sit and Be Fit Osteoporosis Workout Award-Winning Chair Exercise for Seniors
Weights for Beginners and Non-Exercisers
Valeo HW3 3-Pound Neoprene Hand WeightsWorkout for Seniors – Absolute Beginners – Cardio & Strength Training with Angie MillerTrademark Innovations Aquatic Exercise Dumbells for Water Aerobics (Set of 2)Aqua Fitness Exercise Set – 6 Piece Water Exercise Aerobic Belt, Barbells and Workout RoutineSpeedo Aqua Fitness Swim Training Barbells, Charcoal/Red, One Size
If You Do something Right – Why Not reward yourself?
Rewards are fun for grownups too!
Everyday You can Be an Exerciser
I am certainly not a jock, yet my mind set is changing. Even at my job – I stand and walk in place!
I am committed to moving my body – and you can be too!